You can see what targeted rates you pay on your rates assessment where these are itemised.
The targeted rates currently collected by Bay of Plenty Regional Council are:
- Rotorua Lakes Activity targeted rate: Supports the sustainable management of the land and water. and is calculated based on the land area of a property.
- Rivers Drainage and Flood Management: Helps to part-fund flood protection and control, and is calculated based on land area, location and reliance on the service provided. There are several different targeted rates that fall under the Rivers Drainage and Flood Management:
- Kaituna Catchment Control Scheme
- Rangitāiki–Tarawera Rivers Scheme
- Whakatāne–Tauranga Rivers Scheme
- Waioeka–Otara Rivers Scheme
- Rangitāiki Drainage Schemes
- Minor Rivers and Drainage Schemes
- Rotorua Air Quality targeted rate: Helps fund the monitoring and maintaining of the Rotorua Air Quality activity. Calculated per property for the Rotorua urban area.
- Rotorua Air – Clean Heat Conversion targeted rate: A targeted rate per property within the defined boundary of the Rotorua Air Shed area for properties who have received a loan for the installation of a cleaner heat alternative.
- Passenger Transport: Provides passenger transport services across the region, and transport for people with impairments and is calculated per property.
- Tauranga Passenger Transport targeted rate
- Rotorua Passenger Transport targeted rate
- Western Bay Passenger targeted rate
- Eastern Bay PT – Whakatāne targeted rate
- Regional Safety and Rescue Services (RSRS) targeted rate: Calculated per property to provide funding for regional safety and rescue services.
The Regional Safety and Rescue Services targeted rate was established in 2022 to fund and support the following services: Surf Lifesaving, Coastguard, Land Search and Rescue (LSAR), St Johns, Rescue Helicopter. The total value of the fund for the 2022/23 year is $400,000.
The rate is for each area is different, based on the range of safety and rescue services that are most relevant in each area.
- Civil Defence Emergency Management targeted rate: Ensures that a response is coordinated, and communities are supported in emergencies. Calculated per property.
You can read more about how the different rates are calculated in our Annual Plan.